SOPS Medical Office Survey Data Submission
Definition of a Medical Office
- A medical office is an outpatient facility in a specific location.
- Each medical office located in a building containing multiple medical offices is considered a separate medical office.
- Providers in a single medical office should share administrative and clinical support staff.
To submit data to the database:
- Medical offices must be located in the United States or in a U.S. territory.
- Each medical office must have at least five completed surveys to receive an individual feedback report.
- The core survey must have been administered in its entirety without any changes to the survey item text and response options. For more information on AHRQ Guidelines Regarding Use of the SOPS Name, please visit: https://www.ahrq.gov/sops/about/using-sops.html.
What You Will Need for Submission
- Medical Office Site Information: Users can upload medical office site information in one of two ways, one at a time through the online site information form or all at once in an Excel spreadsheet. Each medical office, including those from a health care system, is considered a separate medical office for submission purposes. Please use the Medical Office Site-Level Data File Specifications (PDF, 205 KB, PDF HELP) as a guide when entering your site information.
- Sample Medical Office Site Information Data File (XLSX, 23 KB)
- Copy of the Questionnaire(s) Administered: Users will need to upload a copy of the actual questionnaire(s) administered. If you used a copy of the Spanish questionnaire, please upload this questionnaire as well. We will review the submitted questionnaire(s) and users will receive an approved/not approved email within 3 business days.
NOTE: Submitted questionnaires must follow the principles and standards established by AHRQ under the SOPS Trademark.
Your questionnaire will not be approved if:
- You made changes to any of the questionnaire item text and/or response options.
- You reordered questionnaire items A1−G2.
- You deleted one or more items between A1-G2.
- You added new questions between items A1 and G2 (Please add any additional questions to the end of the questionnaire after Section G, before the demographic questions in Section H).
NOTE: If you administered the SOPS Medical Office Survey with the Value and Efficiency Supplemental Item Set, your survey must comply with the following guidelines:
- Modifications: If you choose to administer only a subset of the supplemental items, include all items within the composites you want to assess; do not reorder items within a composite. For composites you do not want to assess, delete all the items in those composites.
- Placement: The supplemental items should be added toward the end of the Medical Office SOPS, after Section G, before Section H. Be sure to include any definitions of terms, subheadings (re-lettering as needed), and instructions in the supplemental item set.
Data Use Agreement (DUA): Each medical office is required to submit a signed DUA.
Please sign and return a copy of your DUA via:
- Medical Office Survey Data: Users will need to upload their medical office survey data, conforming to the Medical Office Survey Data File Specifications (PDF, 383 KB, PDF HELP) or the Medical Office Survey with Value and Efficiency Supplemental Item Set Data File Specifications (PDF, 383 KB, PDF HELP).
- Sample Medical Office Survey Data File (XLSX, 18 KB)
- Sample Medical Office Survey with Value and Efficiency Supplemental Item Set Data File (XLSX, 18 KB)
Benefits of Participation and Database Products
- Each participating medical office receives a feedback report comparing their results to the database.
- A free Database Report is produced providing aggregate facility-level statistics. The documents do not include any information identifying participating medical offices.
For technical assistance on data submission, email DatabasesOnSafetyCulture@westat.com or call 1-888-324-9790.